Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Power of Writing: A Reflection of ISI

In ISI on Writing Workshop
by Bill Valley, TC 2010

Busy, incredibly busy
Learn, experience
Drink in every innuendo
Every phrase, new concept, and thought
Relishing the voice of sparks flying
Of what was said? I didn’t quite get that?
Wondering how this applies to my classroom
On new ideas in a crescendo of complete harmony
“I got it! I got it!” embarking on a new idea…

We new Fellows come with excess baggage
Loaded with thoughts
Pregnant with our fixed ideas
Wanting to share our best practices
Boast of our kids’ writings
Embolden to articulate our students’ works
Questioning the new ideas, concepts, trains of thought
That don’t quite sound right to our ears.
“What was that? What was that?” smashing preconceived ideas…

I stand alone in our group questioning my very being
Embarrassed to shame
Enlightened to hope
Stinging reality I am trapped in Standardized Testing
In the same old tired strategies
Driven by governmental mandates
Realizing I own the fact my teaching (methodology) misses the mark
Students don’t own their learning; or even care.
“It’s a failure! It’s a failure!” wondering why I even teach…

Suddenly, through time our thoughts begin to gel
Awed in inept wonder
Inspired in our very hearts
Writing we rise from the ashes a member of IWP
On the shoulders of the greats we read
Rejoicing in the words of the writing process
From Atwells, Fletchers, Katie Wood Rays
Co-Facilitators who foster Voice and Content and Craft
“We are writers! We are writers!” teaching with power –
Professional members of NWP!

No comments:

Post a Comment